Weekly Razor Review

Shield GEM Predator Ti (China)

I was tossing up for a while if I was going to buy the GEM variant in the Shield, but the crunch came when I got my hands on some Star blades, thank you I’d love to try one in the Predator. It is now common practice to mill the side off the handle post to permit it to pass through the slot in a GEM blade so not to be left out, Shield have followed the same pathway. Similarly to other machined GEM razors, the handle post is angled, allowing the fitted blade to approximate the angle of a fitted DE blade. Clearance has been machined in the plate and cap to accommodate the thick back portion of the GEM blade, but there is ample flat to clamp the blade positively. For the first time doing a review of a Shield razor, I am going to criticize the quality of the finish; this one is very average. It’s a sandblasted finish on the back of the cap, whereas there has at least been a poor attempt to polish the rest of the head. Exempt from the finish criticism is the handle, it is the usual high quality Shield finish. While the machining of the diamonds along the length of the handle are lightly cut, they look respectable, and I would be very surprised if they do not provide ample grip.

There’s little wonder that the seller of those Star blades suggested they would be suitable for a display, they were no good for shaving with. Two tries down the jaw line convinced me quite quickly that it was time to retire them and go back to the Personna blade. More paint scrapers, although the packaging clearly has them identified as shaving blades; my guess is they must have been poorly stored for a long period of time. What a pleasant razor the Predator is, Karve CB Level #D efficiency and well sorted positive blade. I found the offset angle of the blade to be shallower than some of the other GEM razors I’ve tried and much closer to what I like. Those sharp GEM blades provided a very smooth shave, it was certainly close and long lasting. This is one razor that I could live with: efficient, but not overpowering in any one area. Well worth a try

Blades Used – Star Personna

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Weight – 65.4g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 40.59mm

Handle Length – 90.00mm

Handle Diameter – 13.49mm

Availability – Shield Razors

Final Word – Very pleasant

I was tossing up for a while if I was going to buy the GEM variant in the Shield, but the crunch came when I got my hands on some Star blades, thank you I’d love to try one in the Predator. It is now common practice to mill the side off the handle post to permit it to pass through the slot in a GEM blade so not to be left out, Shield have followed the same pathway. Similarly to other machined GEM razors, the handle post is angled, allowing the fitted blade to approximate the angle of a fitted DE blade. Clearance has been machined in the plate and cap to accommodate the thick back portion of the GEM blade, but there is ample flat to clamp the blade positively. For the first time doing a review of a Shield razor, I am going to criticize the quality of the finish; this one is very average. It’s a sandblasted finish on the back of the cap, whereas there has at least been a poor attempt to polish the rest of the head. Exempt from the finish criticism is the handle, it is the usual high quality Shield finish. While the machining of the diamonds along the length of the handle are lightly cut, they look respectable, and I would be very surprised if they do not provide ample grip.

There’s little wonder that the seller of those Star blades suggested they would be suitable for a display, they were no good for shaving with. Two tries down the jaw line convinced me quite quickly that it was time to retire them and go back to the Personna blade. More paint scrapers, although the packaging clearly has them identified as shaving blades; my guess is they must have been poorly stored for a long period of time. What a pleasant razor the Predator is, Karve CB Level #D efficiency and well sorted positive blade. I found the offset angle of the blade to be shallower than some of the other GEM razors I’ve tried and much closer to what I like. Those sharp GEM blades provided a very smooth shave, it was certainly close and long lasting. This is one razor that I could live with: efficient, but not overpowering in any one area. Well worth a try

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Weight – 65.4g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 40.59mm

Handle Length – 90.00mm

Yes @Errol totally agree, 1st of all a great review, 2nd I got one in “plain” Titanium (and an AC after 1 of your reviews) and wow, IMHO it is up there with my Kamisori in shaving to achieve a BBS in a two pass shave, though just not quite as smooth? Recommend Shield, I certainly would, 👍 for your review/s

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Weight – 65.4g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 40.59mm

Handle Length – 90.00mm

Looks like all the Shields you’ve tried get a pass? Maybe I’ll have to try, especially this one (not yet tried a GEM razor).

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Weight – 65.4g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 40.59mm

Handle Length – 90.00mm

Thanks for another smashing review Errol. I have been sitting on the fence about a GEM Razor for sometime now and you've convinced me to get one The Shield Predator definitely sounds like a safe bet. Unfortunately those Star blades lost their glitter and Personna rescued the day. Incidentally, I did see a bloke here selling a pack of 200 of the Star Blades awhile back. I'm sure the lad who bought them is currently trying to track the seller after putting one of those blades to use. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes @Errol totally agree, 1st of all a great review, 2nd I got one in “plain” Titanium (and an AC after 1 of your reviews) and wow, IMHO it is up there with my Kamisori in shaving to achieve a BBS in a two pass shave, though just not quite as smooth? Recommend Shield, I certainly would, 👍 for your review/s
Shield razors just scream value more than anything else. Excellent pricing and strong reliable performers.

@ejgowing I started with one and now thanks to our good buddy Errol, I have five. Four in Titanium and one in SS. The Machining and build quality of the Shield's are quite robust and solid. They don't spell Flash or Flamboyance but in a way perfection as far as the blade clamping etc. is concerned. What I do love about them is the fact that no mater what blade you chuck in to the DE versions, they work beautifully without the slightest chance of a nick or a weeper. The AC versions are even better and perform on par with so many of the big boy SE offerings and sometimes even better.

You start with one mate and I'm sure it won't end there, speaking from my personal experience.

@ejgowing I started with one and now thanks to our good buddy Errol, I have five. Four in Titanium and one in SS. The Machining and build quality of the Shield's are quite robust and solid. They don't spell Flash or Flamboyance but in a way perfection as far as the blade clamping etc. is concerned. What I do love about them is the fact that no mater what blade you chuck in to the DE versions, they work beautifully without the slightest chance of a nick or a weeper. The AC versions are even better and perform on par with so many of the big boy SE offerings and sometimes even better.

You start with one mate and I'm sure it won't end there, speaking from my personal experience.
Okay you’ve convinced me I’ll start with a titanium GEM & if that works well maybe try getting the AC & DE heads as well. Seems like a great deal for a titanium razor!

Atelier Durdan Vestige Ti Superior ++ (France)

When I went to order the Vestige Ti Superior, I banked on similar performance to the previous Atelier Durdan razors and ticked the box for the most efficient plate available at that time, that being the Superior ++. It’s not often that any razor gains my attention like the Vestige did. It wasn’t the high quality of the machining, it wasn’t the light weight of the titanium, it wasn’t the change in packaging from a cheap cloth bag to a super cheap cardboard box, it was the overall design of the head of the razor itself. Atelier Durdan chose to machine the side off the handle post so that it would negotiate the slot in the centre of the GEM blade, then cut the top off the head which allowed the top of the blade to sit totally exposed. To clear lather through the plate, a series of vertical elongated holes form a grill affect, visually stimulating and certainly different to any lather clearing method I’ve observed previously. Atelier Durdan have advised that there will never be an OC version of the Vestige because the plate is too light, I must agree with that point. While any handle in the Atelier Durdan range could have been selected, there is a dedicated Vestige handle so that was where my preference went. It is very thin but there is a flare at the rear and the front where the gripping is done. There are several finishers available for the Vestige Ti, but as I’ve often said my preference for any titanium razor is a matt finish, so the sand blasted finish box was also ticked and I’m not at all disappointed.

Why did I wait so long before using this razor, it is an excellent shave piece. It’s one of those razors that you feel comfortable with from the very first stroke. With its Karve CB Level #D efficiency and a very pleasant amount of positive blade, it produced excellent results. With the top section of the blade exposed, my initial instinct had me believing that I was holding the razor upside down for the first couple of shaves but it’s not much good that way, it won’t cut anything. There are square corners on the top of the blade, but not once did they come anywhere near contacting flesh during the shave, making it perfectly safe in use. I always felt in complete control of the razor and with its light weight, being titanium made it feel so maneuverable. While I enjoyed the titanium version of the Vestige, I can’t help but think that a stainless steel version with a little bit more weight might be even better. Atelier Durdan, you’ve kicked a winning goal with the Vestige.

Blades Used – Personna

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Weight – 37.2g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 39.95mm

Handle Length – 92.44mm

Handle Diameter – 9.13mm

Availability – Atelier Durdan

Final Word – Superior

Atelier Durdan Vestige Ti Superior ++ (France)

When I went to order the Vestige Ti Superior, I banked on similar performance to the previous Atelier Durdan razors and ticked the box for the most efficient plate available at that time, that being the Superior ++. It’s not often that any razor gains my attention like the Vestige did. It wasn’t the high quality of the machining, it wasn’t the light weight of the titanium, it wasn’t the change in packaging from a cheap cloth bag to a super cheap cardboard box, it was the overall design of the head of the razor itself. Atelier Durdan chose to machine the side off the handle post so that it would negotiate the slot in the centre of the GEM blade, then cut the top off the head which allowed the top of the blade to sit totally exposed. To clear lather through the plate, a series of vertical elongated holes form a grill affect, visually stimulating and certainly different to any lather clearing method I’ve observed previously. Atelier Durdan have advised that there will never be an OC version of the Vestige because the plate is too light, I must agree with that point. While any handle in the Atelier Durdan range could have been selected, there is a dedicated Vestige handle so that was where my preference went. It is very thin but there is a flare at the rear and the front where the gripping is done. There are several finishers available for the Vestige Ti, but as I’ve often said my preference for any titanium razor is a matt finish, so the sand blasted finish box was also ticked and I’m not at all disappointed.

Why did I wait so long before using this razor, it is an excellent shave piece. It’s one of those razors that you feel comfortable with from the very first stroke. With its Karve CB Level #D efficiency and a very pleasant amount of positive blade, it produced excellent results. With the top section of the blade exposed, my initial instinct had me believing that I was holding the razor upside down for the first couple of shaves but it’s not much good that way, it won’t cut anything. There are square corners on the top of the blade, but not once did they come anywhere near contacting flesh during the shave, making it perfectly safe in use. I always felt in complete control of the razor and with its light weight, being titanium made it feel so maneuverable. While I enjoyed the titanium version of the Vestige, I can’t help but think that a stainless steel version with a little bit more weight might be even better. Atelier Durdan, you’ve kicked a winning goal with the Vestige.

Blades Used – Personna

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Weight – 37.2g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 39.95mm

Handle Length – 92.44mm

Handle Diameter – 9.13mm

Final Word – Superior
I have the brass version and the weight is perfect (to me) as it almost shaves itself.

Another Terrific Review @Errol and another Gem (pun intended) from Atelier Durdan. Their designs and concepts are quite out of the box and I know many who have become sworn fans of their razors after using La Faulx. The Le Maurice too has gained many loyalists specially in the 1.8 and the 2.0 base plates. AD make some amazing Razors but I still find them a tad bit pricey.

Don't know if it is the norm but many Artisans nowadays make it a point to offer a DE, an SE and a Gem razor while some like Yates, Rockwell Timeless etc. have stuck to the DE version.

Atelier Durdan Vestige Ultra +++ (France)

Atelier Durdan replaced the machined Vestige Ultra +++ plate for @Gargravarr with the sandblasted +++ plate he originally ordered and told him to keep the machined plate. Errol, would you like a machined Vestige Ultra +++ plate? My Vestige is titanium, so a mixed titanium and stainless steel head did not seem like the optimum working solution, so I declined the offer, but thank you. Gargravarr kept offering and eventually persuaded me to take it. Now I’ve got it, what the hell am I going to do with a machined Ultra plate for a razor I’d not tried at that time and to make my dilemma worse, Gargravarr’s initial comments about his sandblasted +++ plated Vestige were not exactly encouraging. Looking for a way forward, I decided to purchase a Medium + stainless steel Vestige in a machined finish, now I’ve hinged my options and with the Gargravarr +++ plate can shave either side of my titanium Vestige Superior with its ++ plate.

I guess Gargravarr would probably appreciate another opinion on the Vestige Ultra fitted with the +++ plate he passed onto me, so the decision was made when I ordered this razor that I would be using the Ultra +++ plate for this review, and this is the first time he is going to find out about it. Atelier Durdan have been giving themselves a huge pat on the back lately for the quality of the machine finish from their new 3 axis machining centre and with good cause; let me just say that it is the best machined finish I’ve seen on any razor. A featured of the Vestige range is the flats on the handle post that allows it to pass through the slot in the GEM blade; there’s not one vestige of excess metal to be found in the head and then it’s been decapitated to leave the top of the blade exposed, a grill effect in the plate for clearing lather and a thin handle with a flare at the front and end. If a razor could ever be categorised as good looking, this one is close to fitting the description.

If I hadn’t made the early decision to go with the +++ plate for this shave, I would probably have gone the other way and chosen the + plate following the resounding results from the ++ plated Vestige used last week. Do I require more efficiency than I had with the ++ plate, I think not; for that matter, do I require less, probably no. Performance was at a higher efficiency than Karve CB Level #D and I found the +++ plate to be a little intimidating. Consequently, the shave was not as smooth, but this was compensated by how easy it was to get a close shave. The small increase in weight of the stainless steel made the Vestige a little more user friendly than the titanium version so I would recommend the stainless steel version over the titanium to anyone contemplating the purchase of a Vestige. I now feel more confident in ordering myself a bronze plated Vestige and there is little doubt that my selection will be for the ++ plate. I certainly enjoyed my time with the Vestige but the +++ plate is just a little too aggressive for this Little Black Duck.

Blades Used – Personna

Material – 316L Stainless steel

Weight – 65.4g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 40.04mm

Handle Length – 92.09mm

Handle Diameter – 9.03mm

Final Word – A true performer

@Errol, another super review in the GEM series and a nice breakdown on the design, efficiency and the challenge involved in using the Atelier Durdan Vestige +++. Not surprised that the ++ was more enjoyable. While I leaned on more aggressive razors for a long time due to the fact that I had to do less passes, lately the mid aggression razors have been the ones I pick up most. When in a hurry, you just want a shave that is enjoyable without your caution meter running and that's where I guess that Karve D level efficiency comes into play. Atelier certainly make some handsome looking tools.

@Gargravarr, I have my eyes on that +++ plate now only need to get my hands into that drawer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shield AC Head Cerakoted Ti – 0.95 (China)

Titanium has a reputation for being a difficult metal to machine so it’s curious why Shield chose titanium for their first couple of years of razor production, but that is exactly what they done. Their lineup of available materials has now been expanded to include brass and stainless steel, but I decided I wanted a cerakoted finish and it is available only on the titanium option. Cerakote comes in all colours of the rainbow and Shield offer any colour cerakoted razor that you desire so long as it’s black. That’s half the story, Shield also offer different levels of efficiency, and I was after a razor to set a standard before I moved to a brass or stainless steel version; this one has the 0.95 gap. Shield’s AC Head razor features the through the blade handle post and with its spindly handle is super lightweight. It would look out of place on any other razor yet functions perfectly with the miniscule design of the AC Head. This razor had not been assembled when I received it, and I was taken back when the handle would not screw fully down; out with the rod oil, screw down, screw back, screw down a little further than last time, etc, etc till everything locked down perfectly. As is normal when Errol oils anything, liberal amounts of oil were applied to the handle post; you should have seen that cerakoated black finish glisten when the excess oil was wiped off.

This razor comes with a warning ‘Can’t use Schick Blade!’ Out with a Schick blade to find out why. When the Schick blade is squeezed over the pins on the plate there is a slight bulge at its centre but with the cap installed the bulge disappeared, the blade sat flat and for once in my life, I heeded the manufacturers warning. While it may feel like a toy with its lightweight and all, don’t become complacent, this razor is very effective. The 0.95mm gapped AC Head Cerakoted Ti sat around Karve CB Level #D efficiency and Shield added a very pleasant amount of blade feel to deliver an extremely close and comfortable shave. This razor with the 0.95 gap plate delivered everything I want in a razor, but for those wanting a little more or a less efficiency, Shield can cover your requirements with plate selection, this razor is good.

Blades Used – Kai Titan Mild (Pink) and Feather Professional

Material – GR5 Titanium

Weight – 36g

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Head Width – 49.92mm

Handle Length – 85.1mm

Handle Diameter – 9.85mm

Availability – AliExpress

Final Word – Sweet

Atelier Durdan Vestige Ultra +++ (France)

Atelier Durdan replaced the machined Vestige Ultra +++ plate for @Gargravarr with the sandblasted +++ plate he originally ordered and told him to keep the machined plate. Errol, would you like a machined Vestige Ultra +++ plate? My Vestige is titanium, so a mixed titanium and stainless steel head did not seem like the optimum working solution, so I declined the offer, but thank you. Gargravarr kept offering and eventually persuaded me to take it. Now I’ve got it, what the hell am I going to do with a machined Ultra plate for a razor I’d not tried at that time and to make my dilemma worse, Gargravarr’s initial comments about his sandblasted +++ plated Vestige were not exactly encouraging. Looking for a way forward, I decided to purchase a Medium + stainless steel Vestige in a machined finish, now I’ve hinged my options and with the Gargravarr +++ plate can shave either side of my titanium Vestige Superior with its ++ plate.

I guess Gargravarr would probably appreciate another opinion on the Vestige Ultra fitted with the +++ plate he passed onto me, so the decision was made when I ordered this razor that I would be using the Ultra +++ plate for this review, and this is the first time he is going to find out about it. Atelier Durdan have been giving themselves a huge pat on the back lately for the quality of the machine finish from their new 3 axis machining centre and with good cause; let me just say that it is the best machined finish I’ve seen on any razor. A featured of the Vestige range is the flats on the handle post that allows it to pass through the slot in the GEM blade; there’s not one vestige of excess metal to be found in the head and then it’s been decapitated to leave the top of the blade exposed, a grill effect in the plate for clearing lather and a thin handle with a flare at the front and end. If a razor could ever be categorised as good looking, this one is close to fitting the description.

If I hadn’t made the early decision to go with the +++ plate for this shave, I would probably have gone the other way and chosen the + plate following the resounding results from the ++ plated Vestige used last week. Do I require more efficiency than I had with the ++ plate, I think not; for that matter, do I require less, probably no. Performance was at a higher efficiency than Karve CB Level #D and I found the +++ plate to be a little intimidating. Consequently, the shave was not as smooth, but this was compensated by how easy it was to get a close shave. The small increase in weight of the stainless steel made the Vestige a little more user friendly than the titanium version so I would recommend the stainless steel version over the titanium to anyone contemplating the purchase of a Vestige. I now feel more confident in ordering myself a bronze plated Vestige and there is little doubt that my selection will be for the ++ plate. I certainly enjoyed my time with the Vestige but the +++ plate is just a little too aggressive for this Little Black Duck.

Blades Used – Personna

Material – 316L Stainless steel

Weight – 65.4g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 40.04mm

Handle Length – 92.09mm

Handle Diameter – 9.03mm

Final Word – A true performer
These must be great razors to be getting such a good review. For my part they're just plain ugly with the back end of the blade hanging out the back of the razor. They really look like they should be sporting an AC blade.
For all the attention that DE razors attract if the blade ends are protected or not then to have the whole backside of a GEM blade hanging out of a razor seems counter intuitive.
I am a fan of GEM blades so I am curious to try one of these but not enough to extend my collection (and lighten my wallet). :)
Thanks for the review @Errol

These must be great razors to be getting such a good review. For my part they're just plain ugly with the back end of the blade hanging out the back of the razor. They really look like they should be sporting an AC blade.
For all the attention that DE razors attract if the blade ends are protected or not then to have the whole backside of a GEM blade hanging out of a razor seems counter intuitive.
I am a fan of GEM blades so I am curious to try one of these but not enough to extend my collection (and lighten my wallet). :)
Thanks for the review @Errol
+1

Titanium has a reputation for being a difficult metal to machine so it’s curious why Shield chose titanium for their first couple of years of razor production, but that is exactly what they done. Their lineup of available materials has now been expanded to include brass and stainless steel, but I decided I wanted a cerakoted finish and it is available only on the titanium option. Cerakote comes in all colours of the rainbow and Shield offer any colour cerakoted razor that you desire so long as it’s black. That’s half the story, Shield also offer different levels of efficiency, and I was after a razor to set a standard before I moved to a brass or stainless steel version; this one has the 0.95 gap. Shield’s AC Head razor features the through the blade handle post and with its spindly handle is super lightweight. It would look out of place on any other razor yet functions perfectly with the miniscule design of the AC Head. This razor had not been assembled when I received it, and I was taken back when the handle would not screw fully down; out with the rod oil, screw down, screw back, screw down a little further than last time, etc, etc till everything locked down perfectly. As is normal when Errol oils anything, liberal amounts of oil were applied to the handle post; you should have seen that cerakoated black finish glisten when the excess oil was wiped off.

This razor comes with a warning ‘Can’t use Schick Blade!’ Out with a Schick blade to find out why. When the Schick blade is squeezed over the pins on the plate there is a slight bulge at its centre but with the cap installed the bulge disappeared, the blade sat flat and for once in my life, I heeded the manufacturers warning. While it may feel like a toy with its lightweight and all, don’t become complacent, this razor is very effective. The 0.95mm gapped AC Head Cerakoted Ti sat around Karve CB Level #D efficiency and Shield added a very pleasant amount of blade feel to deliver an extremely close and comfortable shave. This razor with the 0.95 gap plate delivered everything I want in a razor, but for those wanting a little more or a less efficiency, Shield can cover your requirements with plate selection, this razor is good.

Material – GR5 Titanium

Weight – 36g

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Head Width – 49.92mm

Handle Length – 85.1mm

Handle Diameter – 9.85mm

Final Word – Sweet
great review,

A question re - the Open Comb plate. Is this separate or is it part of the top plate or the blade.
I like the look of the razor, Creokote should be very durable (Ceramic).
The handle looks very elegant and nostalgic.

Material – GR5 Titanium

Weight – 36g

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Head Width – 49.92mm

Handle Length – 85.1mm

Handle Diameter – 9.85mm

Final Word – Sweet
Great review ''again'' yes loved my GR5 AC so much in Cerakote, that I got a GR5 Titanium AC and a Gem. as said before right up there IMHO!!