What do you have in the post right now?

I purchased a Georgetown Pottery scuttle a few weeks ago. It's beautiful, a perfect size for lathering and it holds lots of hot water so it keeps the lather quite warm between passes. But I just sold it because its very heavy and I tend to prefer to hold a bowl in my left hand while I whip up lather with the right. So I just purchased an Aesop stainless bowl which seems to get rave reviews and it'll partially submerge in a sink of hot water to keep the lather warm.

You are bloody lucky they didn't arrive as sand given Australia Post's handling of packages.

I must admit I was surprised [pleasantly] that both from different vendors arrived safely.

So, what did you get?

A King G-1 8K and a barber's hone from the 1940's

The King is a really nice transition before my Jnat finisher. The barber's hone is "interesting" and will take some learning. It seems very aggressive but quite fine.

Both are used but in very good condition.

I should qualify my last post, no disrespect intended against Bulgaria but it's just the package arrived wrapped in a dour grey butchers paper bearing a multitude of Soviet style stamps and had been wrapped in string and some form of 'adhesive glue tape' as opposed to packing tape. It has been addressed in blue biro by a person with a less than stable hand too - quite odd actually.

Delivery time was quite reasonable though and the contents were all present and in tact.

Hmmm, well maybe not in the post now but tomorrow I'm promised (photos are vendor's) -

[sigh] Collecting days are now behind me I think.

Let's just say too that I think I well and truly deserve that 'Sabbatical Fail' tag ...

Sabbatical or not there is no way you could have passed on that.

ABSOLUTELY!

Wise words young Nick, the Force is strong in you ;)

Seriously these don't come up all that often and while expensive it was not completely OTT. If only that vintage butterscotch Chubby One would come my way ...

Blackbird - just received shipping info (label printed). Close enough to call shipped.
DNfxMGQ.png

Hmmm, well maybe not in the post now but tomorrow I'm promised (photos are vendor's) -

Let's just say too that I think I well and truly deserve that 'Sabbatical Fail' tag ...
Congratulations - this one is definitely worth failing one or two sabbaticals :D

I purchased a Georgetown Pottery scuttle a few weeks ago. It's beautiful, a perfect size for lathering and it holds lots of hot water so it keeps the lather quite warm between passes. But I just sold it because its very heavy and I tend to prefer to hold a bowl in my left hand while I whip up lather with the right. So I just purchased an Aesop stainless bowl which seems to get rave reviews and it'll partially submerge in a sink of hot water to keep the lather warm.

That has got me thinking. Does anyone make a refrigerated scuttle?

That has got me thinking. Does anyone make a refrigerated scuttle?

Crushed ice in a regular scuttle should achieved the desired effect, especially if you put the scuttle in the freezer for 20mins before your shave.

Oooh, very shiny. Now that just about is the grail of all grails DE related. When is it going on a tour of Australia?

Oooh, very shiny. Now that just about is the grail of all grails DE related. When is it going on a tour of Australia?

Not long after it arrives Eggy. The only condition is that participants will need to lodge a bond with me equivalent to the purchase price. That should reduce the field - I'm not sure that too many are that bananas!

What do you think @todras ? Will many be keen to play that game or am I seriously bananas thinking people will?

The Darwins are 'cobalt steel' I believe which is why they are so shiny - although @TomG may have more info on that!

Anyway - happy camper here. It has been long sought. I nearly didn't pull the pin - but am glad I did. Have been going bananas looking for one over the years ...

Not long after it arrives Eggy. The only condition is that participants will need to lodge a bond with me equivalent to the purchase price. That should reduce the field - I'm not sure that too many are that bananas!

What do you think @todras ? Will many be keen to play that game or am I seriously bananas thinking people will?

The Darwins are 'cobalt steel' I believe which is why they are so shiny - although @TomG may have more info on that!

Anyway - happy camper here. It has been long sought. I nearly didn't pull the pin - but am glad I did. Have been going bananas looking for one over the years ...

Eh, if it was a straight, maybe. [emoji12]

Last edited by a moderator:

A beautiful razor - Congratulations @Mark1966.
The use of cobalt in the ferroalloy is very straightforward ( if you'll excuse the pun) if this were a straight razor. Many of my knives contain cobalt - it allows Rockwell hardness values in the mid 60's, and provided it is alloyed correctly, the edge is reasonably resistant to brittleness.
However, this is a DE, and thus the key properties of focus for the design engineer when considering materials of construction are likely to be corrosion resistance and lustre. Whilst cobalt assists in this regard, this application in ferroalloys is more typically addressed by its sister metal, nickel.
What is the approx manufacture date of the razor, Four Star? This will assist in my assessment.

A beautiful razor - Congratulations @Mark1966.
The use of cobalt in the ferroalloy is very straightforward ( if you'll excuse the pun) if this were a straight razor. Many of my knives contain cobalt - it allows Rockwell hardness values in the mid 60's, and provided it is alloyed correctly, the edge is reasonably resistant to brittleness.
However, this is a DE, and thus the key properties of focus for the design engineer when considering materials of construction are likely to be corrosion resistance and lustre. Whilst cobalt assists in this regard, this application in ferroalloys is more typically addressed by its sister metal, nickel.
What is the approx manufacture date of the razor, Four Star? This will assist in my assessment.

I believe -

'The cobalt steel patent dates back to 1916.

That 1932 date should likely be closer to 1926. Over at Darwin on the wiki we say the Darwin Ltd company started in 1926, and I see advertising dated to 1926. Also this pamphlet advertising the products is dated 1930. Darwin Ltd was a spinoff of an existing manufacturing company for cobalt steel products, and seems to have started as a way to market the steel. So they probably started their own manufacturing pretty quickly.' - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ion-Darwin-Razor-Owners?p=6607431#post6607431