2023 Shaving Acquisitions Thread

Yes, can use both wedge and flat blades
@Sticky advised the Junior model introduced modern style flat blades into lather catchers although vintage Gem blades appear to be higher carbon steel for honing and stropping, maintaining the edge
Due to flexibility of the spring and bar to hold the blade in place it can accept both
In fact you can see @Sticky using both in SOTD modern Gem PTFE
Straight razor type wedge
Interesting, and convenient that they kept the dimensions similar enough for the blades to be interchangeable. I might visit these razors one day... :unsure:

It has been many a decade since Mme Gargravarr has remarked on my shaves. :( Maybe I should complain :facepalm: ...and see where that gets me. :rolleyes:

Interesting, and convenient that they kept the dimensions similar enough for the blades to be interchangeable. I might visit these razors one day... :unsure:

It has been many a decade since Mme Gargravarr has remarked on my shaves. :( Maybe I should complain :facepalm: ...and see where that gets me. :rolleyes:
Was very tempted to add Noble Otter Hamami Shaving Soap and Aftershave to the parcel but don't know if I want to tempt fate with SWMBO

It's the tropics afterall, "when it rains it pours" 2 x Gem Junior Bar with blades and stropping tool
bteJcw8.jpg

uCkyUkd.jpg

Been outbid on a few lather catchers with wedge blades, therefore still avoiding that rabbit hole for now.
They look like a couple of great Junior Bars. I'm glad to see you found one with the wooden handle. I think you are going to enjoy some fantastic shaves.

Was very tempted to add Noble Otter Hamami Shaving Soap and Aftershave to the parcel but don't know if I want to tempt fate with SWMBO
It is pretty polarising. I was actually tempted the other day to get some more anyway, but decided cowardice is the better part of wisdom.

It's good for generating good one-liners - "honey, you smell like a hobo's jockstrap". I was briefly of a mind to ask how she knew that, but I might not have liked the answer. :unsure:

In today's post...

PXL-20230627-010721671-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

... Not because I'm anywhere close to finishing my current puck, but I do like the sheesham mahogany-look bowl. I had to order this one from Texas, which is kind of far afield for me. I think there might have been a run on DRH generally.

Incidentally, I wonder if the king is going to renew that royal warrant now he's no longer Prince of Wales. :unsure:

Got a little something in the mail from @TroyTools
9ecALEP.jpg

Very nice little box too.

TNqi1QE.jpg

cN20QNb.jpg

hwq7X6B.jpg

25mm badger knot and the handle is a timber called Osage Orange, as some of you may know I used to make archery tackle and this timber was highly regarded used extensively by many groups of native Americans for their bows, it is not common here in Australia but had been imported to use as a wind break by early immigrants from the US.
I have had this stave sitting around for about 10 years as it wasn’t good for a bow due to poor shape but it sure does make a beautiful brush.

9ecALEP.jpg

TNqi1QE.jpg

cN20QNb.jpg

hwq7X6B.jpg

25mm badger knot and the handle is a timber called Osage Orange, as some of you may know I used to make archery tackle and this timber was highly regarded used extensively by many groups of native Americans for their bows, it is not common here in Australia but had been imported to use as a wind break by early immigrants from the US.
I have had this stave sitting around for about 10 years as it wasn’t good for a bow due to poor shape but it sure does make a beautiful brush.
I was admiring that brush on Troy's youtube channel yesterday. I was nearly going to ask if it was already sold :D

That really was quite a unique wood to turn, the chips and dust looked as if they were fluorescent as they sat all over the lathe and floor. 🤩
I recently overpaid for some small pieces of Australian desert hardwoods at the Maleny Wood Festival. They'll be made into handles quite soon. Gidgee, Supple-jack, and even some Budgeroo which has yellow resin filling the cavities. One Budgeroo handle is made already, I'm just monitoring it for stability and any potential movement between the materials before showing it off.

Last edited:
That really was quite a unique wood to turn, the chips and dust looked as if they were fluorescent as they sat allover the lathe and floor. 🤩
I recently overpaid for some small pieces of Australian desert hardwoods at the Maleny Wood Festival. They'll be made into handles quite soon. Gidgee, Supple-jack, and even some Budgeroo which has yellow resin filling the cavities. One Budgeroo handle is made already, I'm just monitoring it for stability and any potential movement between the materials before showing it off.
I can see a split crack on the wooden handle above

I can see a split crack on the wooden handle above
A very minor line in the grain along part of it's length. I treated it gradually with CA glue as the cuts went deeper into the wood. Unfortunately that just something that happens with old wood, but that doesn't mean its not good for anything. CA does a great job filling minor defects in wood.

9ecALEP.jpg

TNqi1QE.jpg

cN20QNb.jpg

hwq7X6B.jpg

I like that. I have to get a houn one made at some stage. Maybe for my birthday.

That really was quite a unique wood to turn, the chips and dust looked as if they were fluorescent as they sat all over the lathe and floor. 🤩
Nice!! I have a Cooktown ironwood bokken which is lovely but weighs a ton.