Paste & Cut Travelling Box No. 2 - Reviews and Comments thread

Looks like it has has a very hard life. Heat affected for sure. Mine looks nothing like that.

You might be looking at a different photo Monsta. I posted a photo yesterday of some nice smelling but unidentified cream or soap. The one I used this morning is labelled P160 and looks fine.

You might be looking at a different photo Monsta. I posted a photo yesterday of some nice smelling but unidentified cream or soap. The one I used this morning is labelled P160 and looks fine.

I was referring to this: http://paste-and-cut.com.au/communi...ws-and-comments-thread.1076/page-8#post-22667

Whatever it is, it has had a hard life. I reckon it may well be @eggbert's old TOBS Sandalwood. I can see how the oils have split in it due to the Darwin heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, wouldn't be leaving that on overnight. Your missus will think she went in for a serious AHA peel.

Looks pretty dry too - you could give it a go with a moist brush & see what it does.

Nothing but two weeks of shaving bliss ahead for you LaP. I wonder if you could fit in TWO shaves per day...?

Tempting but too much other stuff to try. There's enough to lather up an elephant herd but must get through the rest. Might just be a LaP gem in this Pandora's box.

Tempting but too much other stuff to try. There's enough to lather up an elephant herd but must get through the rest. Might just be a LaP gem in this Pandora's box.

Feel free to throw it out, it isn't really usable!

To get a baseline feel of the Schick blade I decided against using the Occams Crushed Lime Pre-Shave Soap this morning. The shave was not as smooth as yesterday. It will be used tomorrow to determine if any benefit is being achieved.

I lathered up with Kiss My Face Lavender cream. Small scoop into my brush and face lathered. A thick lather was quite easy to achieve. It's a bit thirsty and required quite a few dips of the brush in water. Similar to Art Of Shaving cream. Lavender fragrance is pleasant and subtle. Lots of lather for the 2nd and final pass and could have gone a 3rd. Not as slick as some other creams in my cabinet. A safe choice if you're looking for a thick lather and pronto.

Day 2 of the Vintage Schick blade. No nicks or cuts. Not as silky smooth as yesterday but that might have something to do with the cream or the lack of pre-shave soap.
Highlight of the shave - Pinaud Clubman aftershave. It immediately brought back fond memories of my late Grandfather. Very simple and nostalgic fragrance. I remember this scent from when I was only knee high. Barbershop / talc powder smell? Not overpowering and yet it still lingers long after I splashed it on this morning. A good choice if you want simple and clean.

Great review again @Lifes a Peach !!!

The Pinaud Clubman is great. I have the Special Reserve as one of my favourites!

Loving your reviews @Lifes a Peach …really fell like I'm there. Hmmm…that sounds a little creepy don't it? Discard the last bit….

Ummm….ahhh…so the Pinaud. Much sting? Also how does the face feel 5 minutes after? - dry, powdery, moisturised?

Thanks guys. The box is offering up some nice surprises.

Nothing to worry about @stillshunter . Pinaud had no hint of burn for me. Mind you I do splash my face with cold water for about 30 seconds prior to applying an aftershave. It left my face feeling sort of powdery and soft. Pinaud would certainly compliment any Tabac lathered shave.

@Mark1966 - I'm keen to try the Special Reserve. You buying online or picking up during your overseas travels?

@Mark1966 - I'm keen to try the Special Reserve. You buying online or picking up during your overseas travels?

Picked up from Pasteur Pharmacy in NYC!

They are not meant to post internationally but many eBay sellers still do ...

I did find a local supplier of Clubman if anyone's interested.

Turnleys have Clubman from memory but not the Special Reserve - have you got somebody else?

@Mark1966 maybe a call would be prudent, as perhaps it is an item they're able to source ?

To get a baseline feel of the Schick blade I decided against using the Occams Crushed Lime Pre-Shave Soap this morning. The shave was not as smooth as yesterday. It will be used tomorrow to determine if any benefit is being achieved.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Occams stuff. The lime was barely there, missing any of the freshness of actual limes, or any decent menthol cooling. It was halfway to anything. Not only that, the small samples went pretty hard very quickly and were a bugger to lather up, and wouldn't soften up in any hurry.

The pre soap seems more like a scent based marketing exercise too. Doesn't really add anything that any non drying soap (like Dove) will also do, for less. I use the tubes of Nivea face wash, which does a great job without drying faces out and lasts a lot longer than Occams soaps do, which disappear real quick.

For me, the whole matching scent thing is overdone anyway. I choose a lather and while its nice to shave with, none of its scent sticks around after you've washed it off. I chuck an aftershave afterwards anyway, others use balm and man perfumes. So the point of any scented preshave product is kind of pointless imo.

Turnleys have Clubman from memory but not the Special Reserve - have you got somebody else?
No, sorry Mark. Turnley's was the distributor I sourced down to too. They did confirm stocks of the Pinaud Aftershave though….
Yeah agree with @borked , might be worth asking them about bringing in some bottles of Special Reserve as they obviously have a direct line of stock.
BTW: This seems a more promising lead than anyone who's keen to try Myrsol….good luck finding that on-shore!

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Occams stuff. The lime was barely there, missing any of the freshness of actual limes, or any decent menthol cooling. It was halfway to anything. Not only that, the small samples went pretty hard very quickly and were a bugger to lather up, and wouldn't soften up in any hurry.

Classic case of YMMV.

I haven't used the lime but enjoyed the original. I decided to buy some a while back. I think the cream is much better than any of the TOBS creams... Better slickness and so good glide. I rate it the best cream I've tried. I even enjoyed the scent (like an Indian chai).

The cream I have is soft and moist. Sounds like a big difference from the dried out samples you tried.

The pre soap seems more like a scent based marketing exercise too. Doesn't really add anything that any non drying soap (like Dove) will also do, for less. I use the tubes of Nivea face wash, which does a great job without drying faces out and lasts a lot longer than Occams soaps do, which disappear real quick.

I loved the pre-shave soap. It was very slick. I wet my face, rubbed it all over and then lathered up directly on top without rinsing it off. Once again, I have the full sized block that isn't disappearing anytime soon.

The scents are weak. It was apparently a deliberate choice by the soap maker so that they don't cause problems for those with sensitive skin. (That's what the info sheet included with my products said.) I get that but would prefer a stronger scent. I found that the pre-shave had a stronger scent than the cream.

I can't comment on the lime (since I haven't used it). I don't have many lime/citrus products but get that most people associate citrus and menthol. I think I would too.

When the Travelling box arrives, I'll be able to compare the lime sample to what I've already got. It should be interesting based on what you're said.

Anyone else used Occams besides the Travelling Box samples?